Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Vision of the Regency --
artist Frederic Soulacroix

I have just discovered an artist new to me! His name is Frederic Soulacroix. He was born to the wife of well-known painter and sculptor Charles Soulacroix in Rome in 1858. He passed most of his life in Italy and France and he lived a long life, passing away in 1933. Frederic studied in Italy, and achieved great popularity, selling to private customers from all over the world.



On my website, I have a section devoted to Modern Illustrators of the Regency Period. I have included Barbosa, Brock, Thomson, Greenaway, John Goodall and Joan Hassell among the artists with their own unique vision of the Regency period. I have not yet included E. B. Leighton; Vic at Jane Austen's World has a very good post about his work (which, I must confess, I adore).

To these artists, I can now add Frederic Soulacroix. His work is definitely Victorian in flavour, and reminiscent of Leighton and particularly Alma-Tadema. But the fashions are Regency (or perhaps, in his case, Empire), and the colours are luminous. The paintings are saccharine sweet, and chocolate- box pretty and, I think, utterly charming.

The room shows definite Victorian influence but this is "The Afternoon Visitor"

The Recital

Flirtation 
In the Garden
Embrace 
Tea on the Terrace
I could go on and on posting Soulacroix's work, but if you Google his name under the Image search you will find all his paintings. And Wikimedia Commons has the above copyright free images for download. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Next week, Regency author Heidi Ashworth will be visiting to discuss the Prince Regent, later George IV. Heidi wrote her first Regency novel at age ten, and in her twenties' wrote several more. After several years devoted to other roles, she returned to writing, submitted Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind to Avalon Books and sold it. Shortly thereafter, she started a blog and a website which you can visit at http://www.heidiashworth.com and http://www.heidiashworth.blogspot.com/!

'Til next time,

Lesley-Anne

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HJ

These paintings remind me very much of the ones used on the covers of the most recent editions of Georgette Heyer books (published in the UK by Arrow and in the US by Sourcebooks, I think). From a quick look it looks as though they are not actually by Frederic Soulacroix, but the credits on the covers may lead you to other similar artists.

Anne Gallagher said...

Those paintings look like they're photographs, although it could be my new screen.

Beautiful work. Just beautiful. Love the fine detail.

Lesley-Anne McLeod said...

Thanks for the hint about new Heyer covers, Anon--I'll have to check that out.

Anne, I have a new screen too! Aren't things bright and clear?

Tara Manderino said...

Fantastic paintings. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Love Soulacroix - have lots of books with his work on the cover!

Lawrence pops up too sometimes.